Tuesday, October 29, 2013

S'mores dip.

Some of you may or may not know, but there's a Vine of S'mores dip and how to make it circulating the internet. The video is short, but perfect. Very enticing. I watched the 10-second clip, (or however long it is) and needed desperately to make the stuff. So I googled the recipe.

It calls for milk chocolate chips, milk, and marshmallows. How freakin hard could it be, right?

SO. I bought a round cake pan to make the stuff in, so that I could do the double boiler method. I didn't wanna take a chance on scorching one of my good pans OR the chocolate. Plus, it's less mess since the recipe says to heat the ingredients in a pan, then transfer them to a baking dish for finishing touches. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
-1 cup milk chocolate chips
-1 1/4 cups marshmallows, divided
2 Tbsp milk
Graham crackers
Saucepan
Oven-safe dish
Spatula

Directions

Preheat Broiler.

Melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan big enough for all the ingredients. Then add your milk. Stir until it's mixed well. Then add 1 cup of your marshmallows. Mix everything together over medium heat until melted and smooth. Using a rubber spatula, pour the mixture into a small casserole/baking dish. Top with remaining marshmallows.

Place dish under broiler for approximately 60 seconds, or until the top starts to brown. Watch carefully because the marshmallows will burn if left in for too long.

Dip your graham crackers, and enjoy!

Seems easy enough, right? Practically idiot proof, right? Not for me, Miss I'll-just-wing-it-and-it'll-turn-out-fine. I followed the directions, but here's where I fucked up: I added ALL the marshmallows. Didn't save any for the topping. So my 'dip' turned into fudge. It was decent for about 5 minutes after I took it out of the oven. Then, it was way too hard to dip with graham crackers. This is what I get for not reading the recipe before I jumped in. Instances like this are why my Papaw Housley used to call me Speedy.

I also think my round cake pan was much too big for such a small recipe. I probably should have either doubled it, or used something smaller. Trial and error. Whatever. It ended up sitting in the fridge for a week before I finally tossed it. I'll do better next time, I promise. Buuuttt here are the pics. At least it looked good.









 As you can see, we had to scrape it out of the pan to eat it. It's supposed to be dippable. It definitely wasn't.

But I will be trying it again. Thinking about doing this as a dessert on Thanksgiving. We'll see. I'll post my success pics when I do, though. I wont mess it up next time.

Eat up, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment